When a product or category is in decline, brands need to quickly understand the drivers that are leading to this behavior.
The key questions to answer are:
- What are consumers’ perceptions of the category?
- What are consumers’ perceptions of specific products?
- Why are the products not meeting their needs?
- Have they replaced them with other products, if so which ones?
- What do the products need to do differently to meet their needs?
The comparative analysis at a category and brand level will help identify diagnostics to develop strategies on how to move forward.